March 31st 2021 | Community Town Hall Meeting
- His highness Alhaji Muhammadu Dan-Ali, District Head of Bardoki Ward
- His Highness Alhaji Marafan Gyalenge, District Head of Gyalenge Ward
- His Highness Alhaji Hassan Muhammaed Gayari, District Head of Gayari
- Hon. Murtala Muhammad, Councilor of Gayari ward.
- Hon. Muhammad Sani, Councilor of Gyalenge ward.
- Hon. Junaidu Bala, Councilor of Bardoki ward.
- Hon. Salisu Garba, Councilor of Gwalli ward.
- Hon. Bilyaminu Sani, Councilor of Illela Auwal ward.
- Alhaji Hassan Muhammed, District Head of Gayari.
- Malam Bello Musa, Director Personal Management of Gusau LG Council.
- Malam Yahaya Musa, Chairman, Al-Ihsan Citizens’ Right & Empowerment Initiative, Gummi LG Branch.
- Abubakar Abdullahi, C.J Gummi and Chief Imam of Gayari Central Mosque.
The 2nd Gummi town hall meeting, themed “Local People Involvement in the Local Government Affairs and Decision Making Process”, was held to discuss the representation and involvement of village youths in the local governance. The meeting was a conglomeration of five (5) political wards namely Gayari, Gyalenge, Bardoki, Gwalli, and Illela Auwal wards. It was attended by the councilor of each ward, 5 religious leaders (one representing each ward), 3 village heads, other distinguished members of the community as well as representatives of various organizations.
Discussions at the meeting were centered around exclusion and victimization of the youths by the wards in local government matters. Two papers presented at the meeting highlighted the role of the village square in local government administration, challenges of the decision-making process among rural dwellers, and the political rights of citizens as seen through the lens of local government administrative councils. The negative impacts suffered by rural dwellers as a result of been limited from participating in local governance were equally highlighted.
Resolutions reached included an agreement that the local government councilors and other officials must involve rural citizens from all political wards and administrative districts of the area in decision making and budgeting. Similarly, the youths of the villages are to be integrated into the local governance.
It was equally resolved that town hall meetings be conducted in all other political wards within Gummi LGA and that District Heads should be incorporated to steer discussions and moderate issues presented for the proper conduct of the town hall meetings. Finally, a high-level committee should be set up to work with the local government council chairman in establishing the modalities for measuring the traction of these meetings.
Below are pictorial representations of the participants.