23rd January 2022 | Community Town Hall Meeting
- Gunduman Bosso, Aliyu Abubakar
- Community leader, Tudun Fulani Gabas, Abdullahi Mohammed
- Women leader; Hajiya Larai Yakubu
- Councilor Representing Bosso Central II, Hon. Abdulrasheed Abdulrahman
Summary of the Meeting
The town hall meeting was aimed at educating the citizens on the constitutional roles of local government officials. The meeting is also to provide a platform for people to ask questions on matters that affect them, strengthening the capacity of citizens to advance government accountability at the local government level.
During the meeting at Emir palace Bosso, the Gunduman Bosso, Mal. Aliyu Abubakar welcomed everyone present during the meeting. He told the community members that the meeting is basically to enlighten them on the roles their LGA officials are supposed to play in the community. The Gunduma also urged them not to challenge anyone, they should ask their questions and also think of how they can contribute to the betterment of the LGA.
Mal Aliyu Abubakar of Bosso central II, Niger state, reassured the people that the councilor representing their ward is on his way to the venue of the meeting, he advised them not to challenge him or anyone at the cause of the meeting. He emphasized that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and they should make their suggestions politely.
Critical Issues Raised During the Meeting
- The citizens don’t see their LGA officials after they have been elected to power.
- Bosso central II are lacking water. This is a serious issue they are facing in their ward/community
- The LGA officials have never engaged the community members in a meeting (Town Hall meeting)
- The councilor representing Bosso central II promised to table the issues of water to the local government Chairman and engage him on other issues raised by the citizens.
Lessons for Future Engagements
- Nose mask should be made available for the meeting so as to observe covid19 protocols
- There should be a certain amount to be given to the mobilizer of the meeting