27th January 2022 | Community Town Hall Meeting
- Mai Ungwa, Salihu Jagaba Kuta
- Councillor Bangagiya Ward, Kuta, Hon. Gambo Ahmed
Summary of the Meeting
The town hall meeting was aimed at educating the citizens on the constitutional roles of local government officials. The meeting also provided a platform for people to ask questions on matters that affect their lives directly, strengthening the capacity of citizens to advance government accountability at the local government level.
The welcome address was delivered by the community leader, Alhaji Salihu Jagaba Kuta. In his address, he welcomed the religious leaders, the Bangajiya Ward Council, citizen journalists, and the entire community members. He particularly thanked the sponsors of myLGA project for organising the community hall meeting and appreciated the community delegates and the entire participants for coming. He urged participants to freely express themselves and make meaningful contributions to the meeting.
The Honourable Councillor representing Bangajiya ward, Hon. Gambo Ahmed gave the keynote address. In his speech, he thanked myLGA for organising this meeting and urged the participants to discuss solutions to the challenges confronting Shiroro LGA.
Challenges in the LGA
The community members outlined the major challenges that they encounter in the LGA, some of which include:
- The worsening security issue in Shiroro LG and the deactivation of the mobile network.
- The urgent attention that needs to be given to some of the Primary Health Centres (PHCs) and the primary schools in the LGA.
- Lack of potable water in the LGA, most especially in the Bangajiya ward in Kuta.
- Lack of government support for the small-scale business owners (youths and women).
To offer possible solutions to the challenges outlined, a five-person committee including women and youth representatives was appointed to write a letter to the LG Chairman informing him of the challenges identified and follow up to ensure the issues are resolved.